Okay okay, I know spring has sprung and I should be sipping iced tea, but I found a drink recipe this morning I really want to try. I’ve heard of these before and never tried them because my husband (although he said they were delicious) described it as basically one half Earl Grey tea, one half milk. And as someone who drinks her tea straight, that just grossed me out. But reading that a “London Fog Latte” is made with steamed milk and lightly sweetened with vanilla has me more willing to give it a shot. Here are a couple of sample recipes:
Homemade London Fog Tea Latte
8-oz strong Tazo Earl Grey Tea, hot
3 tbsp vanilla syrup
Pour hot Earl Grey tea into a large mug or other serving glass. Stir in vanilla syrup.
Steam milk, or heat it in the microwave and whisk until very frothy, and pour it into the sweetened tea.
This from scratch version is a bit more involved and includes detailed instructions for making the vanilla syrup.
2 cups water
- 2 Earl Grey teabags
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons vanilla-flavored syrup
Homemade Vanilla-Flavored Syrup
Prep Time: 15 minsTotal Time: 25 mins
- 1 To make syrup: Bring water and sugar to boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Simmer 10 minutes on medium-low heat. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Cool to room temperature. (It is also fine if it is still warm when you use it) Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- 2 Boil 2 cups water and steep Earl Grey teabags for 3 minutes (or longer for a very strong flavour) in teapot.
- 3 While tea is steeping, heat milk on medium-high heat, whisking often, until quite frothy (takes about 3 minutes).
- 4 Spoon 2 tablespoons vanilla syrup into each mug.
- 5 Pour 1 cup tea and 1/2 cup frothy milk into each mug.
- 6 Sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg, if desired. Enjoy!
This is the London Fog recipe I’m going to try later at home (namely because it doesn’t call for the syrup)
12 ounces FF milk
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tea bag of Earl Grey Tea
Sweetener to your liking (I don’t think it needs it)
In small pan pour milk and vanilla. Heat on high which whisking quickly for about 1-2 mins or until steaming. The whisking will create almost like a froth. Pour milk mixture into cup and steep tea for 3-4 minutes. Remove tea bag and enjoy.
I can’t wait to try it out on my friends this afternoon!